Friday, January 4, 2008

Once in a Lifetime

I know that when I get home, the question I´ll get most is 'what´s the most amazing thing you saw?' Well, I have almost two months left, but I´m sure yesterday will fit in at the top somewhere. Imagine for a moment, standing in the crater of an active volcano, watching another volcano in the distance erupting. My words don't really do that situation justice, but try to really imagine it: the sulphur smell, the sounds of magma shifting, the rough lava rock clawing at your boots, and there only about 60 miles away, maybe less, an eruption making frontpage news across the world. It's not scary but it should be-- cheering on one explosion of lava, while hoping the lava directly below you stays put. Wrapping my mind around that still makes me smile.

The descent of the volcano is worth mentioning too; you climb up trudging like a pack mule. But coming down you squat, lean back and slide for all your worth, using an ice pick to guide yourself, but always enjoying those moments of out-of-control spinning, tumbling and slipping on the ice.

2 comments:

MLL said...

I told Ana in Sushi about the erupting volcano a few days ago. She looked worried. Then yesterday, I told her that I'd read that you were only 60 miles from it. She looked more worried. I told her about your regret of not skydiving near it. She now thinks you are crazy. I can't wait to tell her of your volcano-from-a-volcano experience. Ha!

P.S. the deli meat misses you.
P.P.S. Katie misses you so much that she's taken to making the roast beef.

Doug said...

I think I must be crazy-- in the last week I`ve eaten mashed potatoes, lettuce twice, tomatoes, mayonaise, a hotdog, carrots and zuchini. I don`t even know how to spell these foods, that's how little I eat them.

I don't miss the deli meat so much, but the cheese... the cheese flavored plastic they use here just doesn´t cut it.