Sunday, January 20, 2008

Is Bolivia Dangerous?

The morning before I left La Paz, I talked with my hotel´s owner (whose brother lives in Raleigh, oddly enough) about perceptions of Bolivia. He lamented the fact that Americans supposed the country was dangerous, and therefore stayed away. Indeed, when I crossed into Bolivia, the guards told me only about 20 Americans a month came through the border at Uyuni; I never met another American while I was in Bolivia.

In touristed areas, there are signs posted everywhere proclaiming that 'Bolivia is a safe country'; and I tend to agree-- to an extent. Leaving La Paz for Lake Titicaca, we stopped at the scene of an accident. A bus had gone off the road and tumbled down a hill, killing ten passagers. In a country as poor as Bolivia, safety features so common as guardrails are unheard of; it is this poverty that makes the country dangerous, for tourists and citizens alike.

I told the hotel owner that I thought things would soon change for Bolivia. Already tourists are flocking to Colombia, and if that country can shed its violent image, then Bolivia-- with all its natural wonders, and embracing people-- can hardly be far behind. I can only hope that some of those tourist dollars will go towards making the country safer for everyone.

No comments: