Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas in Puerto Natales

I can honestly say I´ve never had a Christmas like this. Returning from Torres del Paine on Christmas Eve, I was hoping my hostel would have room for the night, that stores (and particularly restaurants after 5 days of camping food) would be open for at least a little while, and that I would get a hot shower to make the day perfect. I got all of that, plus a Christmas feast with the two brothers who own the hostel, their two younger brothers, and their mother. Roasting a rack of lamb over an open fire in the backyard, swapping stories with fellow travelers and sharing Christmas traditions from our varied nationalities; learning about why Argentina has wine but not peanut butter, why films made here are exported to Europe and not America, and watching a subtitled Santana DVD that bridged the language gap between English and Spanish.

People from the United States, South Africa, France, Chile and Argentina joined under one roof in celebration. We looked on as the family owning the hostel opened presents at midnight, then we cranked up the music and starting dancing!

No comments: