Saturday, December 8, 2007

Buenos Aires

I touched down yesterday and took a nice taxi ride 25 miles into downtown Buenos Aires. Since then I´ve spent a lot of time walking the city, taking photos and eating local steak. This city of 15 million people (according to the taxi driver) is pretty amazing. It makes me think of Guatemala and Italy at the same time. Lots of colonial architecture with balconies and interior courtyards, but with all glass storefronts at streetlevel, selling anything from kayaks to modern furniture.

I´m staying in a little hotel/guest house in the downtown district, that the taxi driver recommended. It would have been impossible to find had I not been let off right at the front door-- the 6 story building is (i think) three top levels of private residences, two levels of guest rooms and maybe more private residences, and then a car dealership on the bottom floor. It blows my mind that I´m sleeping above a Fiat showroom; but the building is great, with marble stairs and window sills, and a kind of double-helix shape that lets in light and fresh air through centralized wells that open out to the roof.

I can´t upload photos yet, but I´ve only explored a tiny portion of the city. Breakfast at Macondo´s, steak lunch and hopefully a tango show tonight.

Ciao,
Doug

2 comments:

r.l.guild. said...

Doug, I'm so excited for you and cannot wait to hear/read more of your travels. Be safe and eat well, Rebecca

Big Mac said...

Doug, Be healthy, be safe, and blog often. Mark Knopfler be damned. . . send me a postcard from Paraguay.