Thursday, June 9, 2011

Burrito?

Sitting in the front seat of a combi, or colectivo (a minibus that acts as a taxi), I had a burning question for our driver. Where are the burritos? This was the first driver who seemed eager to talk to us, and because he spent a year in Denver he spoke English while I replied in Spanish. "Tell me," I said, "My favorite food is the burrito, and I haven´t seen any yet in Mexico. Are they particular to a certain place?" He stared at me blankly. "Burrito?"

I tried to explain it´s like an enchilada, but bigger. "Is it chicken?" he asked, clearly unsure that I was talking about. I told him it could be chicken, or pork or beef, and he laughed. Never heard of it, seemed to be his response. But how is that possible?

2 comments:

Brad MacPherson said...

I had to Wiki it and it seems that it was popularized by Taco Bell. Means little donkey, named after the man who sold them off his donkey."To keep the food warm, Mendez wrapped food in large home made flour tortillas inside individual napkins. He had a lot of success, and consumers came from other places around the Mexican border looking for the "food of the burrito" (i.e., "food of the little donkey"), the word they eventually adopted as the name for these large tacos."
Stay thirsty my friend.

Gordon MacPherson said...

My friend (with Mexican heritage) says that the burrito is not actually Mexican cuisine. It has many of the right elements, but with that American twist. Kinda funky, because a burrito done right really feels right, dig? How is the food otherwise?