Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day 4: highlights and thoughts

A security guard outside Gila Bend where the frontage road dead ends. At first she cops an attitude with me "Can I help you?" and "You're not planning on camping out here." But when I explain I'm riding just because, she asks me if I'm writing a "blog thing" and how she reads this one guy's blog who bikes around the country-- her friend recommended it to her because she's a "gypsy at heart". She ended by telling me to put Vaseline on my face, so I don't look weathered. Ha!

Seeing Misfits t-shirts on the Indian reservation. The cashier at Bashas thought he had heard of Manowar. Ads for Full Blood, a native american skateboard company. Realizing the reservation is like a third world country; signs at the gas station saying you can't buy energy drinks with food stamps. Perhaps it's like Africa-- give them everything to get by, but not a reason to make things better. Trailer with stove, fridge, and hot water heater for $500. Everyone under 65 looks attractive after being around so many RV's.

No comments: